If you love reading, writing, and always discovering something new, you might love blogging. I was personally inspired by a few girls that I follow on Instagram and the fashion, fitness, and/or beauty content on their profiles. What all of them had in common is that they had a blog. A blog is a website or webpage that one person or a small group of people informally write on; in my personal words, a blog is an online diary for others to read. You can literally write on anything you want whether that is reviewing a movie, sharing your latest purchases, or venting about something in your life that is bothering you. No matter what you choose to write about, there are a few tips that anyone get their blog get more recognition and viewers.
- Be consistent with posting. You don't want to lose viewers by not posting for two weeks. A smart idea would be to make posts and save them in your draft in case you can't sit down and write for a few days or weeks because of a family event, work, vacation, etc.
- Make social media accounts and be active on them. Use hashtags on pictures and like other people's pictures or posts that have the same hashtag. You may share something in common!
- Don't write about topics that are too controversial, unless that is what your entire blog is about. For example, if you want to share your opinion on abortion, instead write about the importance of birth control because it decreases the chance of unplanned pregnancies and abortions.
- Keep your ideas and posts in a journal, and carry this journal around as much as you can. By doing this, you will never have a good idea that gets left behind or forgotten.
- Read other blogs that write about a similar topic that you want to write about. Now look at what you do or don't like about it, and learn from their mistakes.
- Be clear on what you will write about. Having a blog that goes from fashion to politics to advice can get a little messy. Some viewers may only like reading about fashion and will lose interest in your blog, so they will move on to another blog. Instead, narrow it down to closely related topics like do it yourself projects and dorm or home decor.
- Promote, promote, promote. You can buy ads on some popular websites for as low as $10- that's about two Starbucks drinks. Invest your money into something that might make you money and bring you happiness down the road.
- Get your own domain name, and make it short and simple You can do this from an numerous amount of websites. If you go through Weebly like I do, it's fairly cheap, and GoDaddy.com also has a lot of good prices. No one will remember champagnecailynchicagogirl123.tumblr.com. They will remember ChampagneCailyn.com. Your blog name also does not have to include your name, but it does remind people who is the owner of the blog.
- Don't give up. If you're not getting 1,000+ viewers a day after a month of solid blogging, that's okay. You have to get the word around first. People don't just know about it. This is where promotion plays a big role.
- Find inspiration. It's literally everywhere! The other day I was walking around my campus and I noticed that we have a few fun flower bushes growing. You could post an all floral section because flowers represent spring and summer very well. If you like someone's outfit, analyze it and make a similar one of it. If your favorite celebrity wore an outfit, chances are the price for each item is ridiculous. Look for similar but cheaper items, and post that.
Hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know if you're interested in starting a blog or are about to and found this helpful!